Wednesday 2 May 2012

In The Pink Soup


I've had a few roots sitting in the bottom of the fridge and they were about to go off, so I decided to throw them in a pot and see what happens.

Ingredients:
2 big beetroots
half a red cabbage
5 small potatoes
handful of tomatoes
1 small onion
Tsp olive oil
soya cream
salt, pepper, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, oregano, cinnamon (no, really, it adds a lovely sweet edge)

 Wash tomatoes, put them in a dish with some olive oil, salt and pepper and leave them in the oven for about half an hour at 180° C.

Peel the beetroot and potatoes (or don't. I like my potatoes with the skin on, but then I'm weird) and chop all the vegetables to roughly same size.

Dice the onion and saute with a bit of olive oil until it's golden. Add vegetables, spices and about 1 litre of water. Cook on medium heat for about half an hour. Or a bit longer or not as long depending on the size of your vegetables.

Once all the vegetables are cooked, rev up the hand mixer and make a smooth soup. Or a chunky one, depending on taste and dexterity with the mixer.

Add soya cream to taste and colour preferences.


What I learned: The cabbage totally swamps the beetroot, but it's a nice wintery soup anyways.

PS: I made dessert and it was amazing. Orange slices with melted chocolate.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment