Wednesday 2 May 2012

risotto with artichokes and braised tofu



I found this recipe in Die Welt In Meiner Küche as a risotto with artichokes and Italian sausage, so I substituted the tofu for sausage. I've never tried braised tofu before or indeed cooked with artichokes (I'm that much of a kitchen newbie) so it'll be exciting.

Ingredients:
juice of half a lemon
2 artichokes
1 litre vegetable broth (having a bit extra standing by won't hurt)
3 Tsp olive oil
1 small onion
about 80g braised tofu (about half a can)
2 cloves of garlic
a few twigs of thyme and tarragon... or oregano if you like me don't have tarragon.
250 g Arborio rice

I made my own broth for this with carrot, onion, celery and pepper and let it simmer for 30 minutes.


Yes, you do need to see this. It's stock! And I made it! Shush, I'm excited.

Next remove the hard outer leaves from the artichokes, cut about a third off the top and cut the stem to about 3cm and peel. Cut the artichokes in half and scrape out the hay, then cut them in 8 to 9 slices. Put the artichoke slices in a bowl of cold water and lemon juice.

Simmer your stock in a pot while you make the risotto.

Heat olive oil in a high skillet on medium heat. Peel and dice the onion and saute until golden.



Add crushed garlic, braised tofu artichokes (sans lemon water) and herbs. Saute the artichokes until they are soft.

Add rice to the pan, stir, salt and pepper then add about 250 ml of stock. Reduce heat and let simmer. When the liquid is nearly gone add more stock. Stir occasionally and continue to add stock until rice is done. Fish out thyme sprigs. Serve.


Lovely.

Things I've learned: Don't be stingy when cutting away hard bits of the artichoke. I had a few tough bits and it's not pleasant. Also and more importantly: braised tofu is disgusting, but the taste is relatively easy to cover with herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment